- Standard industrial Ethernet switches do not process industrial automation protocols and therefore are unable to be monitored on the same SCADA as the PLC and other I/O devices.
- Standard industrial Ethernet switches are not interoperable with fieldbus devices and require industrial gateways for systems integration. In addition to PLC configuration, system integrators must spend a substantial amount of time to manually configure the switches and gateways.
Three components for PLC network optimization
- PLCs operate by using simple ladder logic and start-ups usually take less than one minute. Moxa’s industrial Ethernet switches feature fast booting in under 10 seconds to allow PLC connection attempts, avoiding the trigger of alarms and faults on the PLC network.
- New automation systems can be integrated by using Turbo Chain redundancy technology, which can save substantial cabling costs and allows network segments to be added without requiring system downtime and switch reconfiguration.
- When network segments fail, network recovery through Turbo Ring/Turbo Chain can be achieved in less than 20 milliseconds.
- Moxa’s Modbus gateways are equipped with a powerful 32-bit ARM processor to handle requests from up to 16 master-device connections (such as SCADA, HMI, and PLC) and up to 31 slave-device connections.
To optimize deployment efficiency, Moxa’s industrial Ethernet switches are plug-n-play for simple deployment, and the industrial gateways provide effortless configuration innovations, including AutoScan and QuickLink, to enable fieldbus-to-Ethernet integration in a fraction of the time. Automatic detection of PROFIBUS I/O modules and Modbus device settings eliminates the possibility of manual-input errors. In addition, Moxa’s industrial gateways also feature relay alarm settings, event logging, complete device status for troubleshooting, and a powerful utility to analyze and monitor protocols.
Flexibility of switch and gateway devices, such as port density, connector/interface type, IP (ingress protection) rating, and protocol compatibility allows operators to optimize PLC network deployment. Many industrial automation applications are deployed in harsh operating environments and can require wide-temperature operation and industry-specific certifications.
- Moxa’s industrial Ethernet switches are offered with over 200 variations, including a wide range of fiber/PoE/Gigabit/10GbE port combinations, EN 50155/EN 50121-4 compliance, -40 to 75°C operating temperature, ingress protection, M12 connectors, IPv6-ready, DIN rail and rackmount models, and power injection.
- Moxa’s industrial fieldbus gateways offer intelligent bridging for fieldbus protocols (including Modbus RTU, PROFIBUS, and DF1), -40 to 75°C operating temperature, various topology configurations, innovative auto-configuration wizards, and cost-saving diagnostic tools.